WHO WE ARE
The National Museum of Military History (NMMH) is a state museum, which from its establishment until today is a structure of the Ministry of Defense (respectively the Ministry of War and the Ministry of National Defense).It investigates, preserves, processes scientifically and popularizes cultural valuables connected with the national and European military history. NMMH develops its activities throughout the country.
For its almost centennial presence in the cultural life, in the museum store are preserved and investigated more than 1 000 000 artifacts – witnesses of Bulgarian and European military history.
The National Museum of Military History is a cultural and scientific institute.It is called to:
- Search, investigate, collect, acquire, treasure, preserve, document, promote and present cultural valuables and patterns connected with the Bulgarian military history, with cognitive, educational and aesthetic purposes;
- investigate, record, preserve and maintain the war monuments connected with the Bulgarian military history;
- carries out activities in preservation, processing and servicing of its film archives, cinema facilities, television cinema and appliances, and production of educational and documentary films;
- fulfills the arising from the previous points cultural-educational, educational and information activities;
- accomplishes research activity, subordinated to its main activity;
- organizes and carries out scientific events (conferences, workshops, discussions, roundtables and others).
There are commissions in the Museum authorized by the Ministry of culture to evaluate cultural values of weapons, decorations and artifacts, according to its profile.
The National Military Museum is specialized in thematic scope and national in the territorial scope of activity and includes:
1. NMMH- Sofia
- Naval Museum - Varna;
- Park Museum of combat friendship - 1444 - Varna;
- Museum of Aviation- Krumovo
RESOURCES AND LOGISTICS
NMMH disposes of 40 decares of exterior and 5000 m. square of interior exposition area.
The exposition of the museum is designed in a thematic, chronological and collection plan. 28 000 exponents are displayed as a part of the one-millionth fund of the museum . An accent in the thematic-chronological part, which follows the development of the Bulgarian Army is its participation in the wars for national unification. The collection exhibition presents weapons, uniforms and insignia - the three oldest and richest collections of the museum.
The Library covers an access to about 15 000 volumes of specialized literature. Soon it will also provide electronic access to the collections of the museum.
Тhe modern equipped fund storehouses are located in an area of 4 200 m.square.
Outside its exposition area, NMMH disposes of temporary exhibition halls, two mobile conference halls with 50 and 200 seats, bookstore, cafes.